Monday, July 30, 2012

IS WORKING OUT BUSINESS OR PLEASURE ?



I had a frank conversation with one of my long-term (and therefore successful) clients today about how most people view working out as "entertainment". (Most people will miss this - however, they go hand-in-hand - Long term and Successful.)
It was about viewing exercise as entertainment instead of an ROP. (Results Oriented PROCESS.)
Sure, your workouts should have some modicum of fun (did I just really use the word "modicum" in an email...?) but they should really be treated like business. ...
The business of getting results. So this bouncing around from workout to workout, from exercise to exercise has gotta stop if you ever even hope or dream of seeing some kind of long term results. And no, I'm not talking about losing one pound this week or adding an extra rep to your Press ladder. Those things are good, and are known as "small victories" but the results you're looking for are when you can look back over a specified period of time - say 3 or 6 months - and see MEASURABLE improvement.
Here's a case in point: I was doing loaded Parallel Dips today as part of my training session. I worked up to a heavy set of 3. Now in the past, I've really sucked at these - at least for the last 10 or so years. But lately I've been hitting Dips REALLY hard in order to be able to do a Muscle up
I've been looking for ways to make the exercise more difficult, so I'll do them in an L-Sit or with a pause at the bottom, or both. So today, I worked my way up to adding an additional 45 lbs to the Dips with legs out to make an L. (Much harder than regular position Dips.) Now, that's not something to write home about cause adding an 45 lbs to your Dips is really child's play in the world of serious strength. But the point is, it was a start. And it was seriously MEASURABLE. Why? Because I haven't been able to load up like that since about 1994 or so. I was able to do that by sticking to a few exercises and doing them consistently.
I wasn't doing them for the entertainment value or because I was bored. I'm looking for a result or a series of results and I'm on my way to getting them. And you can and should be too. It's really simple - so simple that most people are blinded by it. All you do is remember the Mantra - "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing." You want to be entertained? Me too. Let's go to the movies or out to dinner with friends. You want results from your workouts? Me too. Let's keep it all business - be consistent and measure your results.
To do that, you need a plan, or better yet, several sequential plans to get you where you want to go. Here's where you make that happen in way less time and with way less distraction than you thought possible. Talk soon. . Remember, at the end of the day, NOTHING is sweeter than being able to ENJOY the achievements of your hard work, whether it's dropping 25 pounds or pressing the next sized pair of kettlebells or breaking 280 on the Bench Press. The only way to do that is to be "all business" about your workouts. Successful businesses run on plans.
If this makes sense. Join us on August 13th for the End of Summer Body Burn. I will be looking for you
Dave Knapp NCSF-MCPT,CNS
888-402-2267
 diet and exercise,health and wellness,personal training,fitness bootcamps, workouts,HIIT Training,
 



No comments:

Post a Comment